Top 5 Things To Avoid On a Date
By Alyssa Fleisher, Copy Cutie
As many of us have experienced firsthand, there’s nothing more nerve-racking than prepping for and the last few minutes right before a first date. After all, first impressions are crucial when it comes to dating and you don’t want to look back and wish you did something differently. However, this is not the time to go overboard — or take a wrong turn completely. And while you want to be yourself, think about leaving some of these less desirable quirks at home. Here are that top five things that you should avoid on a date … especially if it’s your first!
1. Diet routines. It’s still early in the New Year and it’s great if you’re continuing to stick to your 2012 goal; bathing suit season is right around the corner! But there’s nothing more awkward than pulling up a calorie calculator app on your iPhone or whipping out a packaged meal from your weight loss program while out to dinner. Go for a low-calorie option to play it safe. If you’re really obsessive, work out extra hard before you meet or the next day. You’re on a date — you deserve a night off!
2. Pet names. Showing affection is a great way to express interest to someone. C’mon — who doesn’t like to be flattered once in a while? But if you’re going to be affectionate, don’t overdo it. Excessive use of honey, babe, sweetie, or muffin (and all other varieties) will send your date running out the door, especially if you started using them within the first five minutes of meeting him offline. If you’re in a relationship, use whatever pet names work, but when you’re in the beginning stages of a romance, avoid them completely.
3. Mommy dearest. She raised you, gave you words of wisdom and guided you to the right paths of life. For some, our mothers know what’s best and we want them with us every step of the way. But keep them away from your dates! Your guy or gal wants to date YOU, not you and your mom. It’s great if you’re a family person, and you can discuss that while getting to know one another. But if you’re talking so much about her that it’s as if she’s sitting at the table with you, you might as well turn around and leave the table — that if, if your date hasn’t already.
4. Crocs. Leave these at home. Always. And no excuses! Comfort is key, but to a certain extent. No one's saying you need to appear like you’ve walked straight off the NYFW runway, but there has to be a better shoe option in your closet other than crocs. Bottom line: donning these garden shoes tell your date (whether you actually say it or not) that you just don’t care.
5. The Dreaded Ex. They’re called exes for a reason. If you’re dating again, your ex should be out of the picture. By putting yourself out there, you’re saying your grieving period is over and are willingly leaving the past behind. If you’re constantly talking about your ex, it’s clear you’re not ready to move on. In addition, this adds pressure and expectations to your date for the future — if he or she still wants one with you. If you’re serious about dating and finding someone new, forget the ex. Because if things pan out with your new date, you’ll be glad you did.
Did we miss any of your dating don’ts? Let us know in a comment below!