Top 5 Ways to Secure a Second Date
By Alyssa Fleisher, Copy Cutie
You’re on the perfect first date and the two of you are having a blast. At least, that’s how you feel. But how can you be sure your date feels the same way? Why, getting yourself a second date, of course! However, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. In order to get to numero two, you’ll need to ensure the first night ends smoothly. Here are a few tips to keep in the back of your mind if you’re hoping to go out with a match again.
1. In Your Eyes. Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact! Ladies, you can rule the world with just the right bat of the eye. If you really want to pique someone’s interest, all it takes is a glance, a quick look down, and then right back in for the kill with a lingering gaze. For all intensive purposes, let’s call it the quick, quick, slow. As for the gentlemen, keep in mind that women like a man who listens. The best way to look interested is by keeping eye contact during your conversation — and tone down the creepy scale. If you’re truly in tune, then you’re probably already maintaining good eye contact. Just remember — eyes front!
2. Rock Your Body. If you’re interested in someone, would you stand 12 feet away from him or her? No! You’ll want to be as close to your date as possible without freaking him or her out. Body language is one of the best ways to make a good impression. Some tips include facing each other during conversation, not crossing your arms, subtle mirroring of each other’s body language. Ladies, feel free to give a light touch on the arm when you’re laughing at a joke — good or bad. Fellas, don’t be afraid to reach for the small of her back when escorting her out of your venue or while you’re moving forward in a ticket line. However, remember to read each other’s signals; you don’t want to make your date uncomfortable.
3. Love Shack. You already know that you and your date have some compatibility after finding each other online. Talk about bars or restaurants that you’ve been to that the other person hasn’t seen yet, or casually mention places that you’ve both been dying to check out, like a wine tasting downtown. Then say that one day you’d like to head there for dinner or drinks in the future and see how your date responds. You never know … these places may turn into your new go-to spots together!
4. My First Kiss (Went A Little Like This). If there’s a mutual spark between you two then go for it. A great kiss can leave the other person thinking about you — and only you — until they see you again. If that’s not incentive for leaning in, we don’t know what is! However (and this is a big one), always leave them wanting more. Dating is a marathon, not a sprint; one kiss is all you need to end on a high note. Who knows — it just may be your last first kiss!
5. Glad You Came. The day after your night out, thank your date for the lovely evening via call or text. If you’re feeling bold, mention a fun event concerning a common interest (like that wine tasting we mentioned) and ask if he or she would like to join you. If that’s too much, simply ask when you’re seeing him or her next. If the person declines, at least you know you tried instead of wondering “what if” for the rest of your life. At the very best, you’ll find yourself on your way to your second date. And hopefully, the third will come naturally!
Did we miss any good tips? Share some of your tips to securing a second date below!