The eFlirt Expert Guide to Summer Flings
By Kristin Manganello, Copy Cutie
If you've hit a dry spell in the relationship department, consider splashing around in the warm waters of the summer fling. Summer is the season to goof off, so it's OK to relax and see where the tide takes you — even if it’s not very far. Short-term romances do have benefits; they invigorate your love life, open your eyes to new things and teach you more about what you’re looking for in a partner.
But while there are many types of warm weather affairs, not all of them will work for everyone. Just like the perfect pair of jeans, you need a rendezvous that will flatter and accessorize your life. Not sure which is your style? Check out our guide:
1. The Just-For-Fun Fling: A casual companionship that's not about full-blown lust or love. Everything you do together is fun and low key, like going to a carnival and making out in the Hall of Mirrors. There's no expectation of monogamy. Chill out and don't think too much about the future.
2. The Temporary-Love Fling: A mini-relationship, but without the pretense of continuing in September. Excellent for travelers and monogamy junkies, this romance can be fulfilling while it lasts but heartbreaking at the end.
3. The Why-Not Fling: You and a friend have always shared a strong sexual chemistry, and after the two of you share a few mojitos one night, you think, “Why not?” People can be FWB, but proceed with caution — this fling can also create drama where there once was none.
4. The Romance-Turned-Relationship Fling: By the end of the summer, you and your lover feel like there's no reason to end things. These are real feelings that don't cool off once the brisk autumn breeze rolls in. Go with the flow and see where it takes you.
5. The Notorious-Booty-Call Fling: You never go out on dates. You might go out for drinks, but only late at night — and to get warmed up for the bedroom. For some this can be fun, but be sure to keep your emotional distance.
6. The On-the-DL Fling: Secret rendezvous, sideways glances, stolen kisses — this is the hookup that you keep under wraps for the thrill of it. The sense of intrigue is intoxicating and addictive, so make sure not to overdose.
7. The Ex-Fling: Playing with your ex has that tempting home-field advantage feeling. Familiar territory is what keeps the game comfortable. But this type of fling almost always wreaks havoc on your emotions. Make sure you don't get stuck in a relationship recycling rut.
8. The Rebound Fling: Get over a messy pre-summer breakup by distracting yourself with that hottie you met at the beach last weekend. Handle yourself responsibly and don’t be a heartbreaker … or get too attached to your rebound lover.
9. The Out-of-the-Box Fling: Going for someone you normally wouldn't go for. This will shift your dating perspective and open your mind to new possibilities. Plus, if you've been stuck in a romance slump, this will help get you out of it.
Which is your favorite summer fling? Tell us about it in a comment below!