Talk Nerdy to Me Series: The Many Faces of “Geek-Chic”
By Paola Hernandez, Copy Cutie
The days of Screech, Alfalfa and Urkel are long behind us. “Geeks” are no longer seen as social outcasts; now, being nerdy is slowly becoming the norm. With hipsters glorifying thick-rimmed glasses and shows like The Big Bang Theory making super smarties attractive, it makes sense that people are giving the geek culture a try. But before you upload a picture from Comic Con in your golden bikini Leia outfit or mention you play World of War craft 17 hours a day, take note! We’re bringing you a new eFlirt Expert series on mixing geek pride with your online dating life from a self-proclaimed geek.
1. Live Long and Prosper. Sci-fi buffs are considered to be “mainstream geeks.” Trekkies (fans of the Star Trek franchise), Warsies (those devoted to Star Wars) and Whovians (watchers of the British TV show Doctor Who) are a few nicknames that describe the more popular science fiction communities. These super fans quote their favorite scenes verbatim, argue about which movies or seasons are superior to others, and are guilty of dressing up as their favorite characters — just for fun.
2. Keep Calm and Respawn. The lifestyle of being a gamer guy or gal has gotten their fair share of respect from outlets like G4, a TV channel dedicated to video games, and celebrities appearing in commercials for games like Halo and Call of Duty. Other games, like RPGs (Role Playing Games), fight games (Tekken, Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom), and musical games (Dance Dance Revolution) also contribute to this growing lifestyle. Playing games all day in sweats or hitting the arcade is basically a favorite pastime.
3. Calling All Super Friends! Blockbuster flicks like The Avengers, The Amazing Spiderman and The Dark Knight Rises has made it cool to love the superheroes you grew up with all over again. Hardcore lovers of Marvel and DC comics often have their favorite issues in mint condition stored in their safety deposit box. What’s the upside? Having an excuse to watch some of Hollywood’s sexiest actors bring these characters to life during movie night.
4. E=MC2. The days of Pointdexter are over. Shows like Big Bang Theory, Breaking Bad and Fringe have made being a brain socially acceptable. This particular branch of nerdiness is associated with accumulating vast amounts of knowledge — you know, things that you’d find fascinating on a date. For a perfect night out, head to a local bar for a trivia night. You can test out each other’s wits in an exciting setting while having fun.
5. Turning Japanese. With Japanese anime becoming mainstream in the U.S., Otakus (hardcore anime fans who suit up in costumes) are popping up everywhere. If the Japanese culture is an interest of yours, take the time to pick a fan’s brain. Otakus have a expansive knowledge of Japanese traditions, dress and pop culture. And with that, you might be able to finally understand Gwen Stefani’s obsession with those Harujuku girls.
Remember, these nerds and geeks are just like everyone else. They’re surfing the web, looking for their digital soul mate, just like you. Before passing them off, browse through their profile and message them.
Know of a different type of nerd that we didn’t mention? Tell us below!